1. Home
  2. breadcrumbs separator
  3. breadcrumbs separator

Planning & Building

New Greenlight Portal

There’s now a more efficient way for Bulokes’ residents and businesses to interact with Council’s Planning Department, thanks to a new online planning portal.

Powered by Greenlight, Council’s Permit Manager portal has been extended to provide all planning-related activities on the one platform. Customers now only need to register once for all planning interactions. The online portal also makes it easier for all residents search the publicly available planning register, and make a submission on an advertised application.

You can view the Greenlight webpage by clicking the header below.

Greenlight button

If the information you are seeking is not available on the Greenlight Portal, please contact the Building or Planning Department on 1300 520 520 for further assistance. 



Planning permits are legal documents giving permission for a land use or development, and may be required for all building work. If a planning permitis required, it must be issued before the building permitcan be issued. A planning permit may be required for:

  • Starting a business;
  • Constructing, altering, demolishing or painting a building;
  • Displaying a sign;
  • Applying for a licence (e.g. a liquor licence);
  • Subdividing land;
  • Clearing native vegetation;
  • Changing the use of a property;
  • Channel decommissioning.

Fees under the Planning and Environment Act

Fees for Building and Planning are set by the State Government. The regulations are set in fee units. A fee unit value is adjusted each year by the Treasurer's amount.

Visit the State Government regulations and fees page.


Building permits are legal documents that signify that a building surveyor has approved building work prior to it commencing.

Typically a Building Permit Application can take between 6-8 weeks to process before a permit is issued.

Building Permits are required for the following within the Buloke Shire:

  • Construction of a new dwelling, carport, garage or shed, including farm buildings.
  • Extension or alteration of an existing building;
  • Changing the use of an existing building;
  • Demolition or removal of an existing building;
  • Construction relating to swimming pools, spas and safety fencing;
  • Re-erection of a building.

Undertaking building work without obtaining the necessary building permit is a serious offence and can result in severe penalties. The Building Act 1993 (Victoria) prescribes a penalty of up to $10,000 for any persons who carry out work without a permit.

To apply for a building permit, you will need to head to Buloke's Greenlight Portal and submit plans and other required documentation to demonstrate the proposed building work will comply with the Building Regulations. Once your form has been submitted the building fees will be determined and a debtor account will be forwarded out to you via email / mail. Once this has been paid the permit can be issued.

Payment options:

  • By cheque payable to ‘Buloke Shire Council’
  • Electronic Funds Transfer –
  • In person – Buloke Shire Council Office – 367 Broadway, Wycheproof

Contact the Building Department on 1300 520 520 to discuss the requirements to obtain a Building Permit. 

Reminder that when booking inspections you will need to give Council 72 hours’ notice as per condition on the building permit. This will allow for a Building Inspector/Surveyor to be available in our Council to complete the inspection as requested.


Owner Builders

An owner can carry out the building work involved in the construction, alteration or renovation of a house as an owner/builder if they are not a registered builder.

However the Building Regulations require owner builders to obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to get a building permit to carry out any domestic building work over the value of $16,000. 

Owners who intend to apply for a building permit as an owner builder must provide their building surveyor with this Certificate of Consent, prior to the issue of the Building Permit. A building permit cannot be issued unless this is presented.

Alternatively an owner can engage a registered builder to carry out the work, who will provide warranty insurance for the project.

Owner builders are restricted to obtaining one Owner/ Builders certificate for a single dwelling and associated works on a single property, in any three year period.

Visit the Building Commission website or Consumer Affairs for more detailed information and advice about being an owner builder.