Disabled Persons Parking Permit Scheme
The key objective of the Disabled Persons Parking Scheme is to ensure that people with a disability have easier access to services and facilities throughout the state.
Vic Roads is responsible for establishing the regulation's that govern the scheme.
Disabled parking permits are only issued to people with a medical condition that severely affects mobility.
A person may be eligible for a disabled parking permit if they:
Require the ongoing use of a wheelchair, motorised scooter, or similar device;
Are unable to walk without the use of a brace, cane, crutch prosthetic device, fixed or mobile walking frames or other similar device, or without the assistance of another person;
Use a wheelchair, motorised scooter, or similar device that hinders access to a vehicle in a parking bay;
Have an arthritic, neurological, psychological, cardiac or orthopaedic condition that exhausts their physical capacity to walk 60 metres;
Use an oxygen unit;
Have acute breathing difficulties caused by lung disease;
Pose an extreme risk to themselves or others without the constant attendance of a caregiver.
There are four kinds of Disabled Persons Parking permits:
The permit* entitles the permit holder to park their vehicle:
In a disabled parking area or bay for the time and parking fee specified;
or for twice the time in a standard parking bay (upon payment of an initial parking fee, if applicable).
*Category One Permit: Conditions of use
- A driver using the permit must either be the permit holder or must be parking the vehicle for the convenience of the permit holder who needs to enter or leave the vehicle.
- The permit must be clearly displayed on the left side of the front windscreen, with the expiry date and permit number visible from the outside of the vehicle.
The permit remains the property of Buloke Shire Council, and must be returned within 14 days upon:
- Change of disability status;
- Death of the permit holder;
- Notification of such return being required
- A person may only hold one permit
- A permit is automatically cancelled after the expiry date and may be cancelled at any time for wilful misuse or breach of the Conditions of Use.